SXSW Featured Session Preview: #Web3, #NFT, #MetaverseMar 10, 2022·Last updated on Mar 10, 2022
Share this article:
Over the last 35 years, South By Southwest has become the definitive event at the convergence of the tech, film, and music industries.
That’s why there’s no better place than #SXSW2022 for my upcoming presentation covering #Web3, #NFT, #Metaverse - technology that’s changing how all of us work, play, and live online.
My Featured Session: “Web3, NFT, Metaverse! 3 Easy Steps To Get Started” is the perfect entrypoint for anyone - individual or business - to learn the basics and understand the bigger picture of how these emerging technologies are shaping the future of the internet.
Here are three key points that highlight the importance of the presentation and the tech covered within:
1. Because This Blockchain / Crypto / NFT / DeFi / Metaverse Stuff Is Real
Bitcoin, the original crypto currency, has been around since 2009.
And despite the countless innovations, advancements, and adoption that’s occurred in the past 13ish years, there are still some outdated notions out there that application of blockchain-based technologies are still largely speculative.
The truth is that while crypto and Web3 as an industry may still be in relative infancy, there’s never been more investment - in terms of funding and talent - being dedicated to the development of the space.
Here are some high-level stats from 2021 to back that up:
- VCs deployed $30B+ globally in 2021 into crypto/Web3 startups
- There are 65+ crypto/Web3 unicorns, with over 40 of them created in 2021.
- There were close to 50 crypto startups that raised over $100M in 2021
- Total crypto market cap exceeded $3T
2. Because It May Well Disrupt Your Company And Market
Think about all the ways the internet has developed to change how we live our day-to-day lives … and all of the industries it’s disrupted along the way.
Web3 is the next iteration of the internet – a decentralized model that takes power and control over data from big tech and puts it into the hands of the people using the network.
As Web3 continues to be developed and adopted, here are three touchpoints where it could disrupt your industry:
- As decentralized models displace centralized ones
- As trust becomes something you can code for
- As ownership of digital things becomes second-nature
3. Because It’s Creating A Gazillion Opportunities
Think of the most valuable companies in the world - Meta, Alphabet, Amazon - none of them existed before the internet.
As Web3 develops, we’re seeing these industry giants shift their focus towards blockchain-based tech and also seeing new players that didn’t exist in Web2 - like OpenSea, MetaMask, and Unstoppable Domains - explode onto the scene.
As I alluded to before, Web3 presents an opportunity for visionaries in virtually all industries to innovate and disrupt the way things work and how we use them.
Here are few specific examples:
Decentralized Finance (DeFi)
- People are pooling money to make loans and anyone in the world can participate
- Large funds are being raised for initiatives like buying carbon credits, works of art or even the constitution
- If you've ever played a MMORPG video game you have seen they have their own in-game currencies
- Now people are playing games and the money is real
- Tokens can also give you access to voting rights. Organizations know as DAOs (Decentralized Autonomous Organizations) are being run off members voting on policy proposals
Power to content creators – NFT
- This is just starting but the trajectory is up and momentum is moving it rapidly
- The changes for business owners will likely be larger than the magnitude of how mobile or the Internet itself changed the way businesses worked
If you’re going to be in Austin for #SXSW2022 - I hope to see you there!
For anyone interested in learning more about emerging use cases, companies, and Web3 development but can’t make it to South By - follow me on LinkedIn and Twitter
And also be sure to follow Unstoppable Domains - for the latest developments and thought leadership on digital identity on Web3 and in the metaverse.
Thanks and see you soon!
SVP and Channel Chief