New Domain Extension Policy
May 01, 2019
We’ve received lots of questions around the launch of new domain extensions. We plan to launch one more domain extension later this year.
How will this work for .zil buyers? What advantages will .zil buyers have?
If you bought a .zil domain you will get:
1. Domain credits — For every $1 you spend on .zil domains during the pre-sale and auction, you’ll get $1 in credits for the next domain extension.
- Example 1: If you bought 1 premium domain for $250 and 10 domains for $100, you will have $350 in domain credits for the new extension.
- Example 2: If you buy a domain in the .zil auction for $10,000, you’ll receive $10,000 in-store credit for the new extension. $ price calculated at time of purchase.
2. First rights for pre-order buyers — You have the option to buy the same domains you bought during the .zil pre-order phase on the new extension before anyone else can claim them. This period will last at least 1 week. Domains bought during the auction are excluded and will always go to auction.
3. Discounts — You will receive a 50% discount off of the list price of any domains you buy on the new extension during the first rights phase.
Is this happening immediately?
No. We will not be launching until the end of 2019 or early 2020.
Why would you want another domain extensions besides .zil?
The entire world is unlikely to coalesce around the same domain extension. Similar to .com, .org, and .net on the early internet, we believe that the first important extensions will likely be the winners.
Will the new extension be the same price as .zil?
Not necessarily. We have been working on new governance models and distribution mechanisms. Some rules will likely be different.
Will the next extension be on the Zilliqa Blockchain?
We are platform agnostic, but we will likely choose a different blockchain because we think it’s better to support two blockchains instead of one. We think blockchain tribalism is bad for user adoption and we will choose whichever blockchain we think is best for users.
Do you intend to build a domain extension for every currency and every blockchain?
No. It’s not necessary because any blockchain domain we create can ultimately be used to pay in any currency. Additionally, not all blockchains are well designed to handle domain name systems.
Do you intend to launch lots of domain extensions intended for mass adoption?
No. Our goal is to build the most successful domain extensions, not to build a large number. Quality, not quantity. Building lots of extensions is unnecessarily complex for us and for users.
Our primary focus is on mass adoption. The goal is to get domains into the hands of 1 billion people. That means meeting users where they are, integrating with as many apps as possible, and continuing to make blockchain domains easy to use for payments & websites.
It’s been amazing to see the excitement around uncensorable domains so far. Thank you all for coming on this journey with us. More to come soon.